Sunday, March 20, 2005

A dull weekend - and a couple of great films

Ok, so the weekend was dull.

I didn't really get out of the flat at all as a lot of my fiends have buggered off for an easter holiday and others are busy working or pretending to do dissitations. However, it was saved by a couple of things. Firstly, I discovered the most mind numbing yet addictive game on the web which I refused to stop playing til I got in the top 10 (which I did, number 5, 204 boxes if your interested). If you want to know what I'm on about, check the game out at http://www.hyperlaunch.com/layercake/game/.

I also spent 4 great hours watching two great films. 21 Grams has been described by some of my friends as a 'depressingly boring piece of crap'. They're wrong. It's a fantastic film about how our actions in life can effect other people we don't know for the better, or for the worse. The acting in it is incredible (Sean Penn got an oscar the same year for Mystic river, but I think his performance in this is better than that film). AND Namoi Watts is in it, acting as brilliantly as ever and looking fantastic.
The second film was Finding Neverland. This film really is wonderful. It's about J.M Barrie and his life and inspiration as he wrote Peter Pan. Johnny Depp, who is always fantastic, plays J.M Barrie and Kate Winslet, again always brilliant, plays Wendy. The story follws Barrie, a man who hasn't lost his sense of wonder in the world, and tries to relate that through his life and plays. While writing in the park, he meets Wendy, a young widow, and her three children. The story follow Barrie, Wendy and the kids (including Peter) as they grow closer together and are able to work out their seperate lives into a greater whole. If this sounds a bit too much like some sort of chick flick then it's because I'm doing the film justice. This film makes you examine your own life and look for the sense of fun and wonder that I know it's so easy to lose as you get older and more cynical. Yes at times its sad, and there's kids in it (usually a real disaster for a film) but these kids can act (Freddie Highmore won best supprting actor at the empire awards for his performence). Some people will find this film overly sentimental, but I think that says more about the person watching it than the film itself.

Ok, that turned into a bit of a film review. As this blog gets bigger (and since I'm quite enjoying writing it at the moment it probably will) you'll get the idea that I'm actually a bit of a film, music, book geek, so stuff like that's likely to happen a lot. But those two films are particularly good, so you should try and see them if you haven't.

Well, that's been pretty much my weekend. Apart from watching the 6 nations and enjoying see Wales win the grand slam and us (England) beating Scotland (which is more important now that I live in Scotland than it ever was when I didn't). So a dull weekend with a couple of great films, which is what I called this post in the first place. So maybe I should have just left it there, you'd got the picture already hadn't you?, oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home