Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Long Walk Home

I've been accused by one friend of making Edinburgh out to be a horrible place in my last few posts. I don't quite get why as any negative comments are to do with circumstance rather than location, but just to appease her, Edinburgh is a great place. It's a beautiful city and is a wonderous place to live. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have its problems though. For example:

Last night I had a great time with some friends at a pub quiz in the city centre. We'd done reasonably well at the quiz (we came 3rd) and a couple of questions that allowed me to prove my strange geekiness came up, a Radiohead question (name all the albums, easy) and a question linking the bible, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, two of my speacilist subjects (I'll let you work out which two). The question, in case you're at all interested, was 'what is the name of a place in the old testement, an alternative name for middle earth in Lord of the Rings and a planet in a Star Wars film?'. So I was feeling pretty good about life as i went to catch the bus home.

A third of the way through the journey, the bus stopped and I was told that, since it was past 11:00, that was as far as the bus went. Now, having lived in London when there's a pretty much 24hour access to everything, this is exactly the sort of thing that does annoy me about Edinburgh. I had to walk 3 miles to get back home, which was made bearable only because of the wondrous thing that is my ipod and a stop off at a petrol station to grab a cornish pasty and can of coke.

Despite this, it was a good and much needed night of fun and I woke up this afternoon (I've got the day off) feeling fairly good about it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home