Monday, February 06, 2006

A Moose

I had a roast diner round at Lizzy's house last night. Lizzy has taken to calling me monkey in what can only be described as a very, very bad yorkshire accent after she heard me going on about the Arctic Monkeys and took a liking to the way I say monkey. However, she also sometimes calls Chalie (her housemate) a monkey and has decided that she can't call us both that and so, for reasons that are completely unfathomable to anyone that isn't Lizzy, she has taken to calling Charlie a moose. This sparked a discussion that went something like this:

Lizzy: [to Charlie] You Monkey!
[Charlie starts to make monkey noises and jumps around the kitchen. Lizzy has been thinking about her comment and makes a decision]
Lizzy: I'm not calling you a monkey, that's James. You can be a moose.
Charlie: What noise does a moose make?
Lizzy: [after thinking for a bit] I don't know.
[Charlie and Lizzy leave the kitchen and enter the front room where, along with their other housemates I'm sat]
Lizzy: James, what noise does a moose make?
James: I'm not sure, but I've got a feeling that they honk.
Claire (another of Lizzy's housemates): I thought Geese honked.
James: Yeah, that's true, but I've got a feeling that Moose do too.
Jenifer (Lizzy's other housemate): What is the plural of moose anyway.
James: I think it's one moose lot's of moose, like sheep.
Charlie: I thought Moose were more like cows, not sheep. I don't think they baa.
James: No, not that moose are like sheep. Just that the plural of moose is moose, like you have one sheep and lots of sheep.

Of course I wasn't willing to not know what sound a moose makes so I did some research on the web today and it turns out that they do indeed honk. If you want to hear a moose honk click on this link:
Moose Honks
Incidently, I think hearing a moose honk is the sort of thing that everyone should do at least once in their lifetime. I'm sure that a live moose honk is much more impressive and provides a much better clarity of sound. However, since I don't know many people, in this country at least, who happen to have a moose handy for when they do want to hear one honk, this recording can at least safely allow you to experience a mooses honk without all the trouble of having to cope with the smell and general unpleasentness of having to come face to face, or at least face to snout, with a moose. I don't want to be Moosist here, really, I mean I've never even met one. I just get the impression that they are rather smelly and bad tempered beasts that, if you ignore their wonderful honk, you would rather not meet, especially if you take a look at some of their rather dangerous and potentially neck breaking horns.
I think I've said enough about Moose now.

4 Comments:

At 2:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the link won't work on my computer?! I want to hear the moose honk!!!

 
At 2:42 pm, Blogger James Grinnell said...

Hi everyone,
a few people other than Em have had trouble with the link, so go to http://www.gomoose.com/moosefacts.php to find the original link and more information about moose than any rational person can ever want to know.

 
At 11:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first visit to your blog james and my my I have a wierd bunch of friends! Just recovering from Abi's nonsensical ranting only tp read such a random entry about moose and monkeys - the worrying thing was I followed the conversation in my head and could actually picture it happening!! AAhh I'm catching your madness!

 
At 6:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home