Thursday, November 10, 2005

Happy Birthday NME

This week, NME has published it's 3000 edition. The first issue I brought was sometime back in the early 90's. As a teenager I actually let NME decide my taste. If they said something was good, I'd like it and if they hated something, so did I. The music scene seemed exciting in the mid 90's in a way that I haven't felt since. As Pulp, Blur, Oasis, Radiohead made life changing albums at a time when my life was changing as I slowly turned from child to adolesecnt to adult (although I'm probably still on that particular journey) and NME was there through all that.

Obviously as I grew up a bit I realised that at time NME can be as biased and wrong as any other person. Their constant need to seem much more with it than anyone else has at times frustrated me as they champion bands for months until they become popular and release a second/third album which means that they've either become boring, sold out or just plain bad. Which to be fair, is sometimes true. However in those cases NME has sometimes managed to get it spectacularly wrong (Be Here Now has NEVER been a 10/10 album!)

But on NME's birthday, I don't want to dwell on the negatives, I just want to say that without NME I might not even know some of the music I now love, or would at least have discovered it much later.

On a seperate note, went to see Elizabethtown last night, had a great night and really enjoyed the film. At times it feels like the film has lost its way a bit, but it's a great, life affirming (literally) story with a great soundtrack and I even thought Orlando Bloom wasn't bad in it.

And Kirsten Dunst is as loveable as ever in it.

2 Comments:

At 4:38 pm, Blogger Tom Underwood said...

Does Kirsten wear the obligatory bikini?

 
At 3:55 pm, Blogger James Grinnell said...

I did get spammed but in deep hatred and vengence I decided to un-create the evil that was spam. It's bad enough getting spammed, but by a fancy dress shop! it's just not good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home