Thursday, February 09, 2006

Record vs Song

Last night in, I presume, Los Angeles U2 won five Grammys including best album for 'how to handle an atomic bomb' and best song for 'sometimes you can't make it on your own'. On winning, Bono said 'don't expect this to give us big heads, it's too late for that. The Guardian covered the event if you want to read a bit more about them HERE.
I read the whole article and there was no mention at all of Greenday in it until, at the bottom of the article where there's a list of the big winners of the night and, alongside song of the year and album of the year is an award for record of the year which greenday won for boulevard of broken dreams (which is a great song). Now my question is this: What's the difference between record of the year and song of the year?
If anyone has any idea please let me know, cos I haven't got a clue!

4 Comments:

At 4:55 pm, Blogger Hoylus said...

Hey mate, perhaps I can shed some light. I believe that 'record of the year' denotes the actual recording of the song - because it's awarded to the producers, recording engineers and mixers as well as the artist.

The song of the year just goes to the artist I think (not sure what happens if it isn't the artist that wrote the song) I deduced this from the grammy's page - http://www.grammy.com/Grammy_Awards/Annual_Show/48_nominees.aspx

 
At 4:57 pm, Blogger Hoylus said...

actually it goes to the songwriters - no tthe artists at all! (unless they wrote the song!)

 
At 3:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

 
At 7:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home