Sunday, February 19, 2006

My Supportive Girlfriend

This week, as I've already mentioned, has been half term. This has meant a very busy week for me. It has also meant a nice, quiet week off for Lizzy. Now, normally, as I'm the first to admit, Lizzy works incredibly hard and she absolutely deserves a week of relaxation and lie ins. Because Lizzy works hard I like to think that I support her by doing things like sending her a nice text during the day or helping her out with some of her schoolwork [just to remind you here that she's a teacher] or going to see her school productions. This week then has been a bit of a role reversal and Lizzy, in her own way, has tried to support me. How has she done this? She has also used the medium of text to send encouraging messages. Thursday morning, as I sat on a bus, still trying to wake up properly and surrounded by 13 excited and very loud young people on our way to a football tournament I got the following, encouraging, supportive text from Lizzy:
"I'm watching lord of the rings with a cuppa and some carrot cake! x"

Friday I had the day off and Lizzy suggested we have lunch and watch return of the king together. 'Brilliant' I thought, 'I've got a girlfriend that wants to sit down together and spend a relaxing afternoon watching Lord of the Rings.' Eventually we did actually get to do this, and it was wonderful to sit with Lizzy and watch one of the most incredible stories ever. However, I use the word 'eventually' for a reason. What Lizzy, showing a continuing understanding for my hard week, actually meant when she said 'we'll have lunch and watch Lord of the Rings' is: 'We'll have lunch and then you'll work out how to put up my cupboard doors, then you'll help me sort out my room, then you'll put up my new computer desk having moved my keyboard around and then we'll watch Lord of the Rings.' A saying containing the words 'carrot and stick' come to mind.

[Disclaimer: I want to make it perfectly clear that I had a completely wonderful day on Friday. It was nothing but a joy to help Lizzy set up her room and the text I recieved from Lizzy on Thursday did nothing but brighten up my day and in no way made me just wish I was sat at home in the warmth watching Lord of the Rings with my wonderful girlfriend.]

6 Comments:

At 5:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must congratulate her on her ingenius 'furniture assembling' tactics. Simply brilliant. I'm making a note of it now...

 
At 9:37 am, Blogger Hoylus said...

surely the saying would involve carrot cake and stick when it involves liz?

 
At 10:40 am, Blogger James Grinnell said...

Good Phil, although knowing Liz's talents for getting sayings right it's more likely to contain the words parrot and lick.

 
At 3:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 
At 7:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

 
At 9:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lizzy is a star! Couln't describe her in any other way! There isn't a music teacher like her! I look up to her because she's just amazing! Her randomness is what she's known for and she wouldn't be the same without her blondness (even though she's now Brunette!)I love her to pieces! She's been there for me through one of the hardest times ever! She puts a smile on my face and she makes lessons fun :D She really really is a star!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home