Sunday, June 12, 2005

A Couple of Happy Things.

Last night I went to my first Ceilidh (a sort of Scottish dance thing). It was a friend from colleges 21st and it was suprisingly really fun. I only got up for a couple of dances, but the first will be memorable as I danced with Michalea (another Ceilidh virgin). During the seemingly endless dance we proved that not only were we unsure exactly what a Docy-do[sp?] is, we also had no understanding of how to do one without banging our backs together and apologising to, or blaming the other person, for getting it wrong. It was a great night though, and anyone interested in seeing a couple of pictures should check out Michaela's blog. Another reason that this was such a good night was to see Pete and Michaela together. Pete is one of the few people that has made this last couple of years bearable, he's a good friend, and a good laugh. He got together with Micheala (and I could be a bit dodgy with my timescale here) about 3 weeks ago, but for a lot of that I've been away. Seeing Pete looking so pleased with the world as he sat and drank wine with Micheala was fantastic. There's something great about seeing your friends happy, and happily I've seen a lot of my friends look that way this past couple of years.

On a completely seperate and even more joyful note, it was announced yesterday by Gordon Brown that $55 billion of Third World debt has been wiped clean! This is incredible and wonderful news. Gordon Brown actually said that "the deal would not have been possible without the pressure that has been put on finance ministers by churches, campaign groups and the public" which is exactly what I, and a lot of my friends have been doing for the last few years so it's amazing to see something begin to happen. There's still lots to do, but lets hope that this momentum carries on to the G8 summit in July.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home