Friday, July 08, 2005

Crickets, Bombs and Mobile Phones

Yesterday was a strange day.
I went to my Auntie and Uncles. I did this for a couple of reasons. Firstly because when I'm in Sheffield I have to go and see them, and secondly, if I am going to see them I might as well take advantage of the fact that they have Sky Sports and go on a day when I can watch England again beat Australia at cricket, which we did. However, at about 10:30, as the news came in about the bombs in London the day took a distinctive turn for the worse. I knew that where the bombs went off was no where near where any of my friends or family live or work. I knew that most of them would have been either at work or in bed at that time in the morning. But my immediate reaction was to worry about them. It wasn't until I'd heard from them that the whole weight of what had happened hit. I'd been lucky, but there would be people that weren't and that wouldn't be able to get through to their friends and family. But after realising this, I turned back over and watched the cricket. There just didn't seem to be anything else to do.

I've also got to say that, despite my moaning about him in the past, Tony Blair has done nothing but impress me over the last few days. His chairmanship and diplomacy in the G8 summit has led to some great results for Africa. Ok, there's still along way to go with both fair trade and the environment, but 50 billion in less restricted aid and a commitment that everyone will have access to Aids medication by 2010 is fantastic. As is the commitment to continue talks on trade and the environment. But not only has our Prime Minister done this, but he has reacted to the bombing with dignity, compassion and a determination to do the right thing at the same time as not allowing the terrorists to disrupt the G8 meeting. For the first time in a while, I was proud that he was our Prime Minister.

Today has been a relaxing, ok, lazy day. I've listened to some good music. Talked to some good friends, and been given a free phone upgrade by Orange, which I'm sadly excited about.

2 Comments:

At 5:31 pm, Blogger Moondust said...

just popped in to say hi :o) What phone is it?

 
At 6:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you never going to post again......???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home