Friday, June 24, 2005

Like a long summer day

Now that's been a proper summers day, you know, like the ones that you had in those long summers between A-levels and uni holidays? Ok, it didn't involve a party or a bbq or an evening in the pub like those summers invariably did, but the day itself, well... Got up early in the afternoon, sat talking to some friends in Sheffield, who I'd spent those long summers with, on msn while I watched Tim Henman go out of Wimbledon and listend to the BBC cricket commentary as Australia destroyed England. Went for a walk in the sun then went out with my friends to the cinema to see Batman Begins.

Really enjoyed the film. It's a REAL batman film, the batman from the comics. The batman that is truly scary to the criminals. The batman that moves in the shadows and you never see unless he wants you to see him. In the fight scenes, you didn't see batman, you just watched the thugs as they were picked off one, two or seven at a time. The story grounded what batman was capable of in reality. For once you actually believed that someone could do the things that a superhero is doing on screen without having to completely suspend your sense of reality. Maybe that's why when I came out of the cinema I wasn't sure how I felt. I'm used to having to justify a film in terms of it's version of reality, this film didn't need me to do that, it just needed me to accept that someone would go to immense lengths to make the world a better place, and luckily that someone happened to be a multi-billionaire with a company that happened to make state of the art weapons. Ok might have just ruined my own argument there, but maybe not. Either way, it was a good film and one that will make its way into my DVD collection.

And just so that the day had even more echoes to those long summers, I got home and watched an old episode of Shooting Stars that happened to be on tv.
Weird how things repeat themselves eh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home