Monday, July 04, 2005

A Middle, End and Beginning

Yesterday it felt like we were in the middle of something.
And when I say we, I mean we in one of the wider senses of the word. I mean we as in 'we are the world'. As I walked with 200'000 people round the streets of Edinburgh, as I got home and watched live8 unfold on the television, as I listened to Kofi Annan look out across Hyde Park and say simply 'this is the true United Nations, thank you', as I watched two of my heroes, U2 and Paul McCartney sing together and heard U2 again sing 'One' like a prayer, a statement, a judgement and a vision of the future. As I experienced all those things, I knew that there were millions of people around the world who were feeling the same thing. And what we were feeling was that we were in the middle of something. We were in the middle of history. We were in the middle of a unique situation where 'we the people' were, in Will Smith's words, recognising that we needed to be interdependent and were taking responsibility for what goes on in the world. I don't know how much yesterday wil change what happens. But if democracy is truly the leaders following the will of the people, admittedly idealistic I know, but if that is true, then the people have spoken. Let's hope Blair, Bush, Putin, Martin, Chirac, Schroeder, Berlusconi and Koizumi were listening.

Today was the end of my two year residence in Granton. It's been a weird kind of day. Helped with the end of term bbq at club where I spent my time dj-ing from my laptop, spent all afternoon packing then went to my 'surprise' fair well that had been so well put together by my friends. They gave me a t-shirt that had a photoshopped Spiderman 2 poster where they'd replaced half of my face with Toby Maguire's on the ripped half of the mask (I'll try and get a photo). Felt sad to be leaving today. Still have some great friends here and I still care about the work that's going on in Granton very much. I don't regret my decision but I felt sadder at the end of today than I thought I would, despite a great evening.

Tomorrow's a new beginning though. It's almost like I'm starting from zero again. Sure I'm moving back with friends, but they've all moved on in the past couple of years and yes they're still my friends but it's going to be a new dynamic, especially now so many of them are married. Going to spend a great 3 weeks in Sheffield first though, catching up with friends and having a proper summertime like in the 6th form days, even if everyone else will be working! So the next few weeks are all about new beginnings and old friends.

2 Comments:

At 4:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mate,

Glad to hear the ending we went, will be praying for new beginnings.....

Happy Independence Day!
x

 
At 2:12 am, Blogger Moondust said...

Hi there! You're so right about the G8 summit...it would be so sad to be the generation that could have done something but just let it pass by...now that we've all done our part, all we can do is hope that those 8 guys do theirs....

Good luck with your new beginnings :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home