Saturday, June 25, 2005

Coffee and TV

It's sort of disconcerting when you suddenly find out that more than the three or four people that you know are reading your blog.
For a long time, ok let's not get too carried away here, for the few months I've been writing this blog thinking, probably quite rightly, that there are about four friends of mine who actually read it. In fact, the only reason I started writing this blog in the first place was because one of my best friends had moved to the states, was writing one of her own and told me I should too. However, somewhere in the back of your mind you have this vague idea that maybe, possibly in one of those million to one chances, someone has stumbled across your blog. They've read it and, if not enjoyed it more than anything they've ever read ever, at least found it mildly amusing, interesting or just the right side of weird to be fun to read. However, when you suddenly get comments, then e-mails from someone in an entirely different country that has not only been 'following your blog for a while' but had apparently been slightly evangelical about your blog to the point where there are other people that I've never even heard of reading it, it comes as a bit of a surprise. What makes it more surprising is when the person who has somehow stumbled across your blog happens to be a professional writer, so should be able to recognise the nonsense that is written here for what it is and yet somehow manages to enjoy it anyway. This is all a fairly long winded way of saying a couple of things.

Firstly, as I have probably already mentioned, it's sort of disconcerting to discover that there are other people reading this inane drivel. Since I've found out about this I've been very aware when writing that there should be something of interest or at least something fairly funny to write. Unfortunately, my life is neither particularly interesting or funny at the moment.
I've actually spent the majority of the last couple of days sat watching wimbledon on the tv with a cup of coffee and while this has been perfectly pleasent, hardly classes as interesting and certainly doesn't come close to being funny. When I've not been watching wimbledon, I've been watching Glastonbury. I tried to get tickets this year, but wasn't one of the lucky 112'000 that got tickets out of the 2'000'000 that tried to get them. What I saw of the first day was good, but not mindblowingly so like the last couple of years have been. The Killers were excellent a great set with one of those great moments where the whole crowd take over the singing. The White Stripes were there usual brilliant selves, and the one song (yes, only one, what's wrong with the bbc?) that we got to see from Babyshambles was excellent. Other than that though, and a great couple of songs from The Tears who were the day one headliners of the John Peel (whose comments I missed on the BBC coverage, it's not the same without him) stage, there was nothing aprticularly strong or good. Today should be much better though, I've already seen the highlghts of a great set by the Kaiser Chiefs and a couple of songs from Athlete and KT Tunstall, and Coldplay are eadlining this evening so there's still a chance that it will be another great Glastonbury.
Anyway, back to the point. So now as I write this, I find myself slightly nervous about posting it knowing that there are people who have very little idea who I am reading it and actually hoping it will entertain them, hope I don't let them down.

Secondly, since my Greek friend first commented on my post, I've had the priveledge of chatting on msn a couple of times and now of reading her blog (Froth on the Daydream) since she's now translated it into English. It's very bizarre getting to know someone over the internet, but despite that, it's been great to talk to someone new and someone with such great taste, I'm talking about films and music at this point, not her choice in blog which can only be described as slightly odd.

So that's been my last couple of days. Wimbledon, Glastonbury, cups of coffee and a new friend. Not particularly interesting or funny, but I'm sure I'll think of something for tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home