Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Here's A Tip...

Think about it for a second... Have you ever tipped a barman/bargirl, ever?
No, neither have I.
You may be wondering why on earth I'm going on about this. Well, last Saturday I started a new Saturday job as a way of making a bit of extra cash. I'm working in a bar/nightclub. It's a huge place with 4 bars, two dancefloors and two giant screens. It's also completely run and frequented by South Africans, Kiwi's and Aussies to the point where it's possible I was the only English person in the whole place. It was a mad, 12 hour shift and I was completely knackered by 1:30 when we'd finally closed down and cleaned everything and got round to the staff drinks.
However, it was all worth it because I made £80 in tips! That's right £80 just for serving drinks. No food or waitering, just working at a crazily mad bar. And I still get my actual wages! I don't know whether this is a Southern Hemisphere thing, or just something that we Brits don't do, but I'm glad that I'm working in a South African bar now!

2 Comments:

At 7:44 pm, Blogger x said...

I always, always, tip taxi drivers, barmen, waiters, hairdressers. And i don't know anybody who doesn't. You live in Stingy Land!

 
At 11:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not something I knew. We tip for everything here in the US. EVERYTHING. It's rude not to, for a lot of services, but sometimes, I don't have money to tip the concierge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home