Saturday, August 20, 2005

London Calling

I've been in London exactly a month now. It's been a mad, strange, fun, unsettling, strange (did I say that already?), great month.

The work I've been doing for YIP (youth inclusion project) has been excellent. I'm working with some great people and some wonderful kids. Ok, sometimes the kids want to tear each others heads off with their bare hands, but generally they're really good. In fact, I've enjoyed it so much that I've just applied for a permanant part time job with them which would mean (if I manage to actually get it!) that along with the two sessions a week I'm already doing I'd basically be wroking for them full time, which would be excellent.

My direct boss at YIP is a guy called Joe V who I've met a couple of times and he's a top guy. He's into some really great music and seems to know everyone, from Bloc Party, one of the actors from Garden State (the girl at the party that Zach Braff gets off with if you're interested) to Jeff Buckley's bass player. He reads NME just to look at funny pictures of his friends. Anyway, like I said, he's a great guy and we've already spent a couple of nights out together and been to a gig (where his friend blagged us all in for free to a sold out venue). Plus, when I mentioned that I was thinking of going out to LA at some point he offered to get me in touch with his actress friend, so Joe is now a friend for life, whether he likes it or not.
In fact, to be fair to all the new guys I've met, they're all top guys. Spent all day yesterday playing Football Manager with Sparky and all evening playing poker with a bunch of the guys (including one of the guys who'll be interviewing me for the part-time job, YIP's all a bit incestuous which will hopefully be good news for me).

Other than that everything else is carrying on nicely. My job all last week involved being in a park with 30 odd kids playing cricket and football (which is obviously a good thing of you're me). The bar jobs got very annoying. I showed up for work at 10:00 this morning to be told I wasn't needed til 6 and they'd lost all my details AGAIN! Plus, the tips have gone from £80 in the first week to a constant £30 which is still great, just not as great.

Anyway, still haven't got the internet sorted at my new place, but the guy who knows the password for the wireless network gets back this week, so hopefully I'll be logged onto that soon as this is the first time I've actually been able to get on the internet for about 10 days. Hope everyone's doing ok and I'll post again as soon as I have wither anything interesting to post (unlikely) or just some spare time when I'm bored (which is, lets face it, much more likely).

1 Comments:

At 11:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. I want to know someone who knows people. And I want to live in another country. I'm so bored of the US.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home